Date

Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

John Mertic

Hi everyone,

First off, I’d like to introduce myself as the Client Services Manager from the Linux Foundation, in charge of helping run the day-to-day operations for the ODPi. I’ve spent many years in the tech industry, with technology, business, and community focused roles at SugarCRM, Bitnami, OpenSocial, OW2, and the PHP Community. I’m very excited to help support this group launching and building out the ODPi Core.

To help jumpstart these activities, we’d like to propose a F2F working technical summit on Dec 1st and 2nd in San Jose at the IBM Silicon Valley Lab. The goals of this session would be to build off of the F2F this past week, setting plans and priorities for building out the deliverables over the coming months. We can use the upcoming odp-twg calls to help set the agenda for the summit, along with this thread/list for driving discussion.

I’d like to get the group’s feedback on if this is something everyone would be open to, and if the dates/location make sense.

Thanks!

John Mertic
Senior Program Manager - Linux Foundation
jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org
+1 234-738-4571

Re: Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

Susan Malaika

Just confirming we have a good room reserved for Dec 1-2 at IBM Silicon Valley Lab. Are those dates likely for a F2F?
Best Wishes
Susan Malaika

[...]

Re: Summary of conclusions and actions items from f2f meeting

John Mertic

Hi Alan,

I can do much of the PM function in my role as the Client Services Manager
for the ODPi. We can talk more about this during the call next week and the
summit in 2 weeks.

Thanks!

John Mertic
Senior Program Manager - Linux Foundation
jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org
+1 234-738-4571

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 at 2:01:07 AM UTC-5, Alan Gates wrote:

A big question:
How can we get a technical lead/product manager committed to making sure
ODPi tasks are done? The feeling is that we in the technical working
group can do the technical work (spec writing, test writing, putting the
reference build together) but there isn't anyone to coordinate the work
and workers.

Action items

* Get existing BigTop Hadoop tests working (James Tanner SAS willing to
help, other volunteers welcome) (estimated LOE 2 wks)
* Design and build BigTop tests for 1.0 compliance testing (estimate
around 6 wks LOE, need people to volunteer to take this, may require tech
lead/PM resource referenced above to coordinate)
* Formalize the spec (put in unique identifiers for things like tests)
* Need Hadoop internals expert to go through and say which configuration
values should not be touched by apps (Alan from HWX will take this one)
* File JIRA referenced in spec on log4j appender (Allen from Altiscale)
* Find out when the board meeting is that we can ask how to bless the spec
* Throw Singapore Strata to marketing teams. No one present in the
meeting was planning on attending or aware of anyone from their teams
attending.

1.1 Proposals for 1.1 content
* HCFS
* ZooKeeper unclear (do we just ship bits? do specify that it needs to be
installed?) Need to get feedback from ISVs
* Hive

I had to leave before the Ambari discussion concluded so if anyone has
notes from this they'd like to share please do.

Alan.

Re: Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

John Mertic

I would like confirmation with the other group members if that works for them or not.

On Nov 16, 2015, at 2:25 PM, Susan Malaika <malaika(a)us.ibm.com> wrote:

[...]

Defining proposals ODPi Core 1.0

John Mertic

Hi everyone,

As we approach the summit planned on Dec 1/2, we would like to start collecting formal proposals to consider for planning and execution over the next 6-9 months. We will then use the summit to discuss, prioritize, and assign work needed to complete them.

To make a proposal for work to be included in the discuss, please reply to this email thread with an outline similar to OpenStack’s Blueprints (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Blueprints). If you have any questions on this please let us know.

Also, please see the other thread to confirm your attendance for the summit on San Jose on Dec 1/2.

Thanks!

John Mertic
Senior Program Manager - Linux Foundation
jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org
+1 234-738-4571

Re: Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

Allen Wittenauer <aw@...>

As long as I’m home in time to get to the Sharks/Pens game, yeah, sure Dec 1-2 works.

On Nov 16, 2015, at 11:34 AM, John Mertic <jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

[...]

James Tanner

Not that I don't appreciate F2F time with all of you, but it's a bit much to fly back and forth to the West Coast for me. Can we figure out how to structure those 2 days into something consumable over webex meetings? Maybe set a block agenda where various members can login for the pieces that are relevant to them or where all members need to vote?

[...]

Mate Radalj

I'm in.

Can we send out an Outlook invite?

Cheers, Mate

[...]

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

Rickman, Brian T <Brian.Rickman@...>

Webex support would be a great help for me as well.

--

Re: Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

John Mertic

We can definitely provide a GTM of the session for those who cannot join in person, and can work to structure the agenda ahead of time.

On Nov 16, 2015, at 3:32 PM, Rickman, Brian T <Brian.Rickman(a)Teradata.com> wrote:

[...]

Winkler, Steve (GE Digital)

Unfortunately I won¹t be able to join on December 1, 2. Is there any way
to shift it to the following week?

Cheers,
Steve

On 11/16/15, 12:41 PM, "John Mertic" <jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

We can definitely provide a GTM of the session for those who cannot join
in person, and can work to structure the agenda ahead of time.

Thanks!

John Mertic
Senior Program Manager - Linux Foundation
jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org
+1 234-738-4571

On Nov 16, 2015, at 3:32 PM, Rickman, Brian T
<Brian.Rickman(a)Teradata.com> wrote:

Webex support would be a great help for me as well.

First off, I¹d like to introduce myself as the Client Services
Manager from the Linux Foundation, in charge of helping run the
day-to-day operations for the ODPi. I¹ve spent many years in the tech
industry, with technology, business, and community focused roles at
SugarCRM, Bitnami, OpenSocial, OW2, and the PHP Community. I¹m very
excited to help support this group launching and building out the ODPi
Core.

To help jumpstart these activities, we¹d like to propose a F2F
working technical summit on Dec 1st and 2nd in San Jose at the IBM
Silicon Valley Lab. The goals of this session would be to build off of
the F2F this past week, setting plans and priorities for building out
the deliverables over the coming months. We can use the upcoming
odp-twg calls to help set the agenda for the summit, along with this
thread/list for driving discussion.

I¹d like to get the group¹s feedback on if this is something everyone
would be open to, and if the dates/location make sense.

Thanks!

John Mertic
Senior Program Manager - Linux Foundation jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org
+1 234-738-4571

--
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_d_
msgid_odp-2Dtwg_b299725322c948aea139d2f502fd897d-2540MERCMBX42D.na.SAS.co
m&d=CwIFaQ&c=IV_clAzoPDE253xZdHuilRgztyh_RiV3wUrLrDQYWSI&r=8jfAtIC0enmugg
7W93b4MxFNUdrneLwx6fyzU0yk9a8&m=70um5ENNJoP2XzOeohE0SGZBbqVN4g9oSaB4ZpwfR
O0&s=fs9AhHvKw1faSkUIq0Nc8v3lI7PjBIxEKoIp4VPN1b8&e= .
For more options, visit
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_d_
optout&d=CwIFaQ&c=IV_clAzoPDE253xZdHuilRgztyh_RiV3wUrLrDQYWSI&r=8jfAtIC0e
nmugg7W93b4MxFNUdrneLwx6fyzU0yk9a8&m=70um5ENNJoP2XzOeohE0SGZBbqVN4g9oSaB4
ZpwfRO0&s=GITT8uujFfil0FYmcodbE4B_Oh6rVBtNBL8xRBTaQkM&e= .
--
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_d_m
sgid_odp-2Dtwg_E1FB3A63-2D0ABE-2D4146-2D9162-2DF687480EB33E-2540linuxfound
ugg7W93b4MxFNUdrneLwx6fyzU0yk9a8&m=70um5ENNJoP2XzOeohE0SGZBbqVN4g9oSaB4Zpw
fRO0&s=GITT8uujFfil0FYmcodbE4B_Oh6rVBtNBL8xRBTaQkM&e= .

Re: Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

Markham Benjamin

Hello,

I think it might be a little short notice to fly from South Korea to California, however, the location is fine with me. I will see what I can do.

Thanks,
Ben.

On Nov 14, 2015, at 5:53 AM, John Mertic <jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

[...]

Roman Shaposhnik <rshaposhnik@...>

I am +1 on these dates.

Thanks,
Roman.

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 12:53 PM, John Mertic
[...]

Gavin Lu

Hello John,

I'm ok with the venue, but not sure whether I could catch up it from Beijing from time perspective. I'll update you a little later after I figure it out internally.

Thanks,

Gavin

[...]

Does anyone have objections to the week after ( or does it work better for anyone else )?

[...]

Miki Shingo

I'm from Japan and I believe Webexb support will be good for me too.

[...]

FWIW: I'm fine with the week after as well.

Thanks,
Roman.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:58 AM, John Mertic
[...]

I'm ok on both (either week of Dec 1-2 or the week after it), and it's better to decide soon so have enough leading time to book the travel.

Thanks,

Gavin

[...]

Agreed on lining up travel sooner than later. Anyone else able to make either week work?

On Nov 17, 2015, at 8:34 PM, Gavin Lu <gguanglu(a)vmware.com> wrote:

[...]

Mate <banmate6@...>

I'm ok on either week.

I'm ok on both (either week of Dec 1-2 or the week after it), and it's better to
decide soon so have enough leading time to book the
travel.

Thanks,

Gavin

odp-twg(a)googlegroups.com [mailto:odp-twg(a)googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Miki
Shingo
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:51 AM
To: Rickman, Brian T
<Brian.Rickman(a)Teradata.com>; James Tanner <James.Tanner(a)sas.com>; John Mertic
<jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: odpi-technical(a)lists.odpi.org;
odp-twg(a)googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [odpi-technical] Re: Re: Re: Planning F2F
Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

I'm from Japan and I believe Webexb support will
be good for me too.

Webex support would be a great help for me as
well.

Malaika <malaika(a)us.ibm.com>; odp-twg(a)googlegroups.com
Subject:
[odpi-technical] Re: Re: Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

[...]

To:
odpi-technical(a)lists.odpi.org
From: John Mertic
<jmertic(a)linuxfoundation.org>
Date: 11/13/2015 04:04PM
Subject:
[odpi-technical] Planning F2F Summit in San Jose - Dec 1/2

[...]

To post to this
group, send email to odp-twg(a)googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the
web visit
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_d_msgid_odp-2Dtwg_b299725322c948aea139d2f502fd897d-2540MERCMBX42D.na.SAS.com&d=BQIFaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=ULarkAmVReEPaW3VSTEhD70GcvnS2V80yukH-Hrjqe0&m=gtGIBYMZcXabqznZlG-578GiExVSBI0xlr4pWykBd-A&s=y6Sw2jx0O0VF3H5WAYDYFPLXuFYH41YKgSnMJDPLvVM&e=
.
For more options, visit
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_d_optout&d=BQIFaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=ULarkAmVReEPaW3VSTEhD70GcvnS2V80yukH-Hrjqe0&m=gtGIBYMZcXabqznZlG-578GiExVSBI0xlr4pWykBd-A&s=QiLFutUEvI8oPkBReSNwCfikjpKH3Co3GVhn-uvBprU&e=
.

--
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_d_msgid_odp-2Dtwg_526EA20CC82ACD4489EA56F14F79811E14D998B6-2540BPXM16GP.gisp.nec.co.jp&d=BQIFaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=ULarkAmVReEPaW3VSTEhD70GcvnS2V80yukH-Hrjqe0&m=gtGIBYMZcXabqznZlG-578GiExVSBI0xlr4pWykBd-A&s=vrLZyusaVhB9guzQFfstpENfx_JP9xGeioOrSXfks1E&e=
.
For more options, visit
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__groups.google.com_d_optout&d=BQIFaQ&c=Sqcl0Ez6M0X8aeM67LKIiDJAXVeAw-YihVMNtXt-uEs&r=ULarkAmVReEPaW3VSTEhD70GcvnS2V80yukH-Hrjqe0&m=gtGIBYMZcXabqznZlG-578GiExVSBI0xlr4pWykBd-A&s=QiLFutUEvI8oPkBReSNwCfikjpKH3Co3GVhn-uvBprU&e=
.

--
To post
to this group, send email to odp-twg(a)googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion
on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/odp-twg/4f8e5a226f08402287cf1f31b9e9560a%40EX13-MBX-015.vmware.com.
For